Experts in Sport, Dance and Leisure insurance
  • Tel: 01905 612336

A Guide to Outdoor Activity Insurance – 5 things to look for

Outdoor and adventure activity centres need appropriate specialist insurance. Unfortunately, tucked into the small print not all insurance policies are the same. Here are 5 things to look out for when purchasing insurance for your business.

1. An insurance policy that covers the activities you do now and those you might do in the future - If your business wants to expand its activities or add new items of equipment you need an insurance company that will not dictate to you what you can or cannot do. A decent outdoor activity insurer should be flexible and have a good understanding of adventurous activities. If your risk assessment and qualifications say an activity is OK then so should your insurer.

2. Insurance for the advice and training your centre gives - A standard public liability insurance policy will not cover you if your business gives training or advice to a customer who subsequently goes away and injures themselves or someone else. An indemnity for instruction extension or a professional indemnity policy can give this additional cover.

3. Proper insurance cover for outdoor activity equipment - You will probably insure your kit and equipment but unless you specifically request it the cover will be restricted to theft or damage at your premises. This may be further restricted so items are only covered whilst they are inside a locked building. Most centres actually need a policy that will cover equipment in the open, in transit and at sites across the UK and perhaps worldwide.

4. Compliance with the Package Travel Regulations - If your business organises or supplies trips or tours that last more than 24 hours you may be legally subject to the Package Travel Regulations, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992. This may require you to have specialist tour operators liability insurance which is designed to give additional protection to clients who are reliant upon you to provide the transport, facilities, activities or food whilst on the trip.

5. Health & safety prosecutions - Your liability insurance may protect you if an employee, customer or member of the public makes a claim against your business but will it also give cover if the Health & Safety Executive decide to take action against you? An extension to your liability policy and a Directors & Officers policy could give you this crucial protection.

If you would like more advice on insurance for outdoor activity and adventure centres please contact Mann Broadbent, who have specialist in sports and leisure insurance for over 50 years, insuring businesses, individuals and events all over the world. Please call Mann Broadbent on 01905 612336 or email 

"Just a few lines to congratulate all at Mann Broadbent on your fabulous claims service , it makes my job easier believe me. Keep up the great work!"

Jeff Jones, Senior Partner, Lawson D Jones

The Somerset Cricket League contacted a number insurance providers when it decided that every club MUST have Public Liability cover if it was to be a member of the League. We looked at a selection...

Ray Hancock, Hon. Secretary, Somerset Cricket League

Read more Testimonials >>

Mann Broadbent have always gone to great lengths to look after the insurance needs of the Worcestershire FA and have provided an excellent service for over 20 years.

Mervyn Leggett, Vice - President, The Football Association

Read more Testimonials >>

I am continually impressed and greatly appreciated the prompt and very efficient service we always receive from Mann Broadbent in dealing with the Public Liability/ Personal Accident, ...

Les Todd, Vice President, Northumberland FA

Read more Testimonials >>

Mann Broadbent have gone to great lengths to understand the insurance requirements of Last Man Stands Franchise holders in the United Kingdom ...

Wayne Greve, Last Man Stands

Read more Testimonials >>

We moved all our insurance business to Mann Broadbent earlier this year and have found the service to be exemplary with the highest of professionalism at all times ...

Mike Pegg, National President, English Petanque Association

Read more Testimonials >>

Sutcliffe Insurance Brokers Ltd t/a Mann Broadbent is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority 306068
2 Foundry Street, Worcester, WR1 2BJ tel:01905 612336 | Registered in England No 1167560
If you cannot settle your complaint with us, eligible complainants may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independent assessment.
The FOS Consumer Helpline is on 0800 023 4567 and their address is: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR.
Sutcliffe Insurance Brokers Ltd. © 2018 | Privacy Statement | Terms Of Use | Site Map | West Midlands Internet Marketing by WSI | Login
at WillStrohl.Modules.OpenGraph.OpenGraphWriter.OpenGraphStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)